1. Formulate a 1:1 learning strategy
- Create a Vision (the “Why”). This involves setting clear learning goals, and connecting these goals to best practices and actions.
- Formulate a Strategy (the “How”). The approach you will take and the governance you will create to manage the project.
- Have a Plan for Delivering the Vision (the “What”). This is your roll-out plan – when and how the technology will be implemented.
2. Assess the full costs
- Get an idea of the different funding models available.
- Understand how BYOD can help save costs.
- Factor in the cost of insurance.
3. Involve key decision-makers
- Point out the benefits of mobile devices.
- Provide information on the Challenges of Mobile Devices in Classrooms.
- Let them know about the positive impact on Behavioural Problems.
- Point out the specific benefits for SEN students.
4. Have effective administration procedures in place
- Set up a procedure for receiving and logging devices
- Create a logging system
- Create a system for logging IT requests for quick resolution
- Set aside a place for storing, and a sign-out procedure, for extra devices
5. Choose a device
- Find out how to choose a device
- Select a case for your devices
- Decide which learning ecosystem is best for you.
6. Put reliable infrastructure in place
- Understand ICT & Infrastructure
- Ensure adequate connectivity
- Find out where to get technical support
7. Sign the relevant policies & agreements
- School-staff mobile device loan agreement
- Mobile device acceptable use guidelines
- A contract for parents
8. Train and prepare staff & parents
- Ensure you provide adequate development and training.
- Schedule in regular parents’ sessions to help them support their child in using the device.